Post contains affiliate links.
Are you all Thanksgiving-ed out yet?
I sure hope not because this soup, as my sister described it, tastes like Thanksgiving in a bowl.
For me, Thanksgiving always makes me immediately think of sweet potatoes. My mom is usually in charge of bringing her sweet potato casserole to the family gathering and they are pretty promptly devoured. I remember the first time I used her recipe to make them – I could not believe my eyes when I saw I was supposed to douse them in two sticks of butter, a very generous amount of brown sugar and then top them off with marshmallows. No wonder they go so fast, right? I’m pretty sure that recipe was the gateway for finally convincing Derek that sweet potatoes are awesome.
Sweet potatoes >>> White potatoes
Who is with me?
Ahhhh, you clicked the “Read More” button, you ARE with me
Whatever your favorite Thanksgiving dish may be, I hope you enjoy it this year, even if there are gobs of butter and marshmallows involved. But for all the other days this winter when you’re feeling a little Thanksgiving-y, you can enjoy this soup and not have to bust out the yoga pants for fear of the button popping off your jeans.
Not that I’ve ever had to do that <—- every year. When will I learn???
This sweet potato soup is sweet and creamy, seasoned with a touch warm fall spices and topped with crunchy, salty-sweet bacon. Delicious flavors plus the convenience of the slow-cooker #winning! Just pop a few ingredients in before work and have dinner pretty much ready when you walk in the door; always a relief amidst the weeknight craziness.
So go dust off that slow cooker, or maybe dust the marshmallows off some leftover sweet potato casserole, and enjoy this sweet potato soup. Spoons optional.
Wishing you and your family a fantastic, fun, face-stuffing Thanksgiving!
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- Put the sweet potatoes, onion, chicken broth, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in the slow-cooker. Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low, until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- When ready to serve, heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Line a plate with paper towels.
- Add the milk to the slow-cooker and puree until smooth using an immersion blender, set aside on warm. Alternatively, blend in batches in a blender.
- Add the bacon and maple syrup to the skillet. Cook the bacon until crisp, 4-5 minutes. Transfer to the paper towel lined plate.
- Ladle the soup into bowls (about 1-1/2 cups each) and top with bacon.