Whew, where did the past week go? Are you all gearing up for Valentine’s Day?
I got an early start on the V-day fun this past week, when I had the opportunity to go to my daughter’s classroom and bring an activity and a small treat for “Fun Friday”. Her request was something Valentine’s Day themed – which led to these little heart shaped rice crispy treats.
I thank my lucky stars that my kiddos are free to eat whatever they please; aside from the pickiness, that is. But there are a lot of kids out there who have to deal with food allergies and I feel for them and their parents. So I wanted to bring a treat that everyone in the class could enjoy and these allergy-friendly treats fit the bill – dairy, gluten, egg, soy and nut free.
Rice crispy treats were always an after school snack staple in our house growing up, and I have a lot of fond memories of making (and eating) the marshmallowy delicious treats as a kid. But with these, I tried to make a slightly healthier version. I added whole grains by using brown rice crisped cereal and added in a little bit of protein with some sunflower butter, which is less allergenic than nut butters.
They turned out equally ooey-gooey and delicious, and with a few heart shaped cookie cutters, they were perfect for a Valentine’s Day treat!
You could certainly cut these into any shape or go for the traditional bars. And the nice thing about this mixture is that it is a little more pliable than the marshmallow version, so after making the hearts with the cookie cutters, I rolled the excess into balls so not a single bit was wasted!
We also had fun in the classroom playing a few rounds of Valentine’s Day Bingo with these cute cards I found over on Makoodle!
Sending you lots of internet love and a Happy Valentine’s Day! XOXO
- ⅔ cup brown rice syrup (or honey)
- ⅔ cup sunflower seed butter
- 4 cups crisped brown rice cereal
- cooking spray
- Prepare a pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. If cutting into shapes, use a baking sheet, for squares use an 8x8 or 9x9 pan.
- Heat a large pot over low-medium heat.
- Add the brown rice syrup and sunflower seed butter, stir constantly until smooth and melted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour in the cereal, stir gently to combine completely.
- Pour onto the pan. For shapes, spread ¼ inch thick. For squares, press to edges of square pan.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes, then cut into desired shapes.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Bring to room temperature before serving.